Sunday, January 11, 2015

A new year, a new blog :)

I've blogged about Crossfit before on my art blog -- and that post got so much traffic that I thought I'd start a blog about my adventures in Crossfit. And adventures they are.....

For those of you who don't know Crossfit , Rx is the prescribed weights etc, that one should be doing in a workout (WOD -- Workout Of the Day). I don't do Rx very often -- but I'm working on it! Hence the name -- Destination Rx.

If you're here to get pointers in Crossfit -- look somewhere else :). Here I will talking about what is working and what is not -- for me :). It may provide you with some comic relief......

The following is a copy of my Crossfit post from my mixed media blog in July, 2014:

In May, I succumbed to Ms L’s pestering  influence, and began Crossfit. The gym ("box") that I go to is right near my school ( Danforth and Coxwell). Tidal CrossFit. (There are also locations in York Mills and Burlington) Miss L recommended it—she teaches at a few different Crossfit Gyms, but she knew that I would only go if it was convenient, and Tidal sure is, so she recommended going there. I started with the “ Foundations” class - because there would be only up to 4 people, so there would be more individualized instruction. Mine was taught ( mostly) by Mags—the co-owner - and I was the only one in the class, so I got personal training. It was $199 - for 6 classes ( 3x a week)(1 hour classes) and then unlimited regular classes for the rest of the month. It was well worth it!!! Mags and Stephanie made me work HARD.  When I gave up, they made me keep going. They made me laugh... and didn’t make me feel like an idiot when I couldn’t remember things from one day to the next. 

(I try really hard not to bore my friends to death with my enthusiasm)

I had always thought Crossfit was too expensive, but it’s really not. You really get personalized instruction, and it is motivational. I used to go to Goodlife, but it wasn’t really friendly, and after the introductory hour, you’re on your own, unless you take classes, which I found too intimidating (seriously -- I NEVER knew what was going on -- and the instructor was too busy to ask). At Tidal -- ask away -- that's what the instructor is there for. So now I’m totally a Crossfit convert :) I started doing this to make Miss L happy—but I kept going because it made me feel good and it’s an investment in my health. 


http://crossfitsaber.com/?attachment_id=942
 
The classes start with a warm up, then go onto strength (often some form of Olympic Weightlifting) and then the WOD ( Workout of the Day). I am there, working out for over a full hour ( I get there early, because for some reason, the warm up takes me 10 minutes longer than everyone else , lol) . I go 3 days a week -- Mon/Wed/Fri.
I am getting WAY stronger—and lost 12 pounds in just over a month. Seriously. I sweated it off, lol. Don’t worry, I’ll put it back on this summer with all of those Privateers Bounty Ice cream cones. And also, in my Nova Scotia, chips are a valid vegetable :)

I am trying to continue on with the workouts here in Port Mouton. I ordered equipment through Amazon and Walmart ( free shipping! ) Some dumbells, a kettlebell ( OMG - so heavy) , pull up bar, rings and a skipping rope. I am VERY DETERMINED to master double-under skipping this summer. I’m still doing workouts on Monday/Wednesday/Friday, and I skip on my off days.

I’m even looking forward to September when I can go back to Tidal. -- Not just for the exercise, but for the community. I miss everyone! They are all so encouraging and inspiring!

If you live/ work in the East end of
Toronto, check out Tidal. Your won’t regret it. Tell them Martha sent you :) !!
 
This was my workout for today -- on my own
WarmUp
3 Rounds:
10 squats
10 burpees
10situps
3x 6split squats on each side
kettlebell swings (25lb)
WOD 
5 rounds
100 single under skips
50 squats 
(I could feel Mags' evil eye on my wobbly left knee every single squat)
Here is my work out gear corner:
 (missing -- my pull up bar -- it is being installed in a doorway)
(and I need some 10lb weights -- those 15s are too heavy for thrusters right now)
(you can order from Walmart. Free shipping. Hate Walmart, but I'm cheap)
Here is Andy's work out gear corner -- he piles it all up together -- sometimes right on top of mine :) 


p.s. I got new shoes. Less dorky than the old ones. Now they won’t get stuck when I try to escape from the rowing machine.

p.p.s
If you want to see how strong Miss L is -- here is a short video of her competing in the 2014 Canadian Senior Weightlifting Championships in Saskatoon, SK. She takes after me (hahahahahahahaha.... not).

No comments:

Post a Comment