Monday, February 16, 2015

You are far too smart to be the only thing standing in your way

Today's lesson:
Have confidence in yourself, and trust in your coach.

Friday's  WOD included thrusters. For you non-crossfitters - that's squatting (my least favourite thing), while bringing the barbell to your chest/shoulders, then as you stand, you push the bar up over your head. NOT my favourite move.
The WOD was 3 rounds 4 time -- of 10 burpee facing bar; 15 thrusters (Rx 55) ( me - empty 35 pound bar:); then 10 chest to bar pull ups ( I scale it back with some bands).



So, I got to my 3rd (last) round of overhead squats and I was pretty sure I was going to die faint collapse. I was shaking. So I ran to switch out my heavy bar for a practice bar ( yes, I know --  in the middle of a workout) .

 


Mags stopped me " What are you doing???"
Me - " Uhhhh, switching my bar"
Mags - " No you're not," " You're finishing with this one "
Me  (scuttling sheepishly back to my bar)
Mags "3 at a stretch-- we're finishing this!!!". And he begins to count for me....
Me ( I do 5, then 5 more, then 5 more), then skip off to do the pull-ups. And pretty much look sheepish, like someone who has tried to get out of something (well, I tried).
and Mags is giving me this smug, told you so, kind of look....

So after the pull ups, I get a different from Mags, the 'what the hell were you thinking?' look,  then the lecture.
Crap. I'm a teacher. I give that look and the exact same lecture every day. But I like to feel free to thrown in the towel myself, when life gets a little tough. Yes, people, I am a quitter :)

You finish what you start. You don't scale back in the middle of a WOD ( unless the coach tells you to). The coach ( or teacher ) will not ask you to do something that he/she truly believes that you cannot do. You can do it ( and you will).

Self confidence and trust. Sigh.

Okay, I need to begin practicing what I preach :)

No comments:

Post a Comment